Whistleblower Reporting Options

Whistleblower Complaint Instructions

CSU Executive Order 1115: Reporting Procedures for Protected Disclosure of Improper Governmental Activities and/or Significant Threats to Health or Safety.

Complaints are encouraged to be submitted in writing to the Appropriate Administrator designated by the campus President. Complaints may be submitted at the campus level or at the CO but must be submitted no later than 12 calendar months after the Complainant knew or should have known about the alleged Improper Governmental Activity. Complaints may be submitted using the EO 1115 Complaint Form (pdf), or may be submitted in writing, orally, or anonymously but should include the following information:

  1. The name and contact information of the Complainant (i.e., mailing address, email address, and phone number), the Complainant’s CSU position title or relationship with the CSU (if Complainant is a Third Party).
  2. A detailed description of the alleged Improper Governmental Activities, as defined in this EO. The description should include the name(s) and title(s) of the Employee(s) or official(s) allegedly engaged in the Improper Governmental Activities (the “Respondent(s)”). 
  3. The date(s) the alleged Improper Governmental Activities occurred.
  4. Other potential witnesses to the alleged Improper Governmental Activities, the facts known by each, and if possible, their contact information. 
  5. Any documentation that supports the allegations of Improper Governmental Activities. Individuals should not attempt to obtain documents they do not have the authority to access.
  6. Descriptions of documents that support the allegations of Improper Governmental Activities, if the actual documents are not in the possession of the Complainant.

How do I File a Whistleblower Complaint?

To make a Complaint to the Cal Poly Campus Whistleblower Administrator, contact:

Maren Hufton, Assistant Vice President
Civil Rights & Compliance Office
California Polytechnic University - San Luis Obispo
Building 33 (Fisher Science), Room 290
1 Grand Avenue, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone: (805) 756-6770
Email: crco@calpoly.edu


To make a Complaint to the CSU Chancellor's Office, the Complaint must be submitted to the Vice Chancellor, marked as “Confidential” and addressed as follows:

Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
Equal Opportunity and Whistleblower Compliance Unit
Systemwide Human Resources
Office of the Chancellor
401 Golden Shore
Long Beach, California 90802

Complaints may also be sent via email to EO-TitleIX-Compliance@calstate.edu


You may also file a complaint to the State Auditor by contacting:

California State Auditor
P.O. Box 1019
Sacramento, CA 95812
Fax: (916) 322-2603
Whistleblower Hotline: (800) 952-5665
California State Auditor does not accept complaints by email, but you may file a complaint online.

Related Content