Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation (DHR)
Discrimination and Harassment can directly or indirectly impact an individual's ability to work and study. It is the policy of the University to maintain an academic and work environment free of discrimination and discriminatory harassment for all students and employees. The University takes all reports of discrimination seriously, and investigates each complaint thoroughly.
Additionally, the University prohibits retaliation taken against a student or employee who has or is believed to have reported an incident of discrimination or harassment; filed a complaint of the same; or testifying or participating in an investigation related to a discrimination and/or harassment complaint. Retaliation includes adverse actions that are reasonably likely to deter an individual from opposing conduct or filing a complaint about such practices.
Cal Poly's policies against discrimination, harassment, retaliation applies to all programs, activities, employment practices and operations of the University. This includes the conduct of all students and employees as well as the conduct of all guests, visitors, vendors, contractors, subcontractors and others who do business with Cal Poly.
The DHR Administrator is a management employee with delegated authority from the President to receive and coordinate responses to reports of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. For members of the Cal Poly community (students, faculty, staff, third parties and visitors) the DHR Administrator is Maren Hufton, Assistant Vice President of the Civil Rights & Compliance Office or her designee. Maren may be contacted at 805-756-6770 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support and Resources
DHR Laws, Policies, & Regulations
- Protected Statuses under CSU Nondiscrimination Policy
- CSU Policy Prohibiting Discrimination, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Exploitation, Dating & Domestic Violence, Stalking, and Retaliation (Replaces Executive Orders 1095, 1096, & 1097)
- CSU Student Conduct Procedures
- CSU Executive Order 1111
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- The Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- California Equity in Higher Education Act
- Fair Employment and Housing Act
- California Government Code § 12940